Saturday, May 26, 2007

Looking for a job.

Now that summer is rolling around I need to decide what I'm going to be doing next year. I applied and was accepted to the Masters in Ancient History at CSULB, but I was mainly planning on completing that degree so that I could continue to postpone deciding what I want to do with my life. Obviously I have gotten much better in poker in the past year or so (my 2nd year playing) and although I could see making poker my career without the current blocks made by congress. I'm thinking that until that bill is overturned I don't want to consider making poker my lifelong job.

I have always wanted to work in games - specifically at Blizzard Entertainment, and when it comes down to choosing what I'm going to do in the future, I always arrive back at the same thing. I want to be a designer or producer on the RTS team at Blizzard. I've started working in the War3 Map Editior again and I'm going to devote about 1/2 my poker time to developing a map for the Level Design position they have open currently. They suggested I apply for this job last year, but having had very little experience working with the map editor, I decided that I was not going to be able to get it. I still worked on a map for about 4 months, and now having started in the past few weeks, hopefully I'll have a basic functional map up in the next couple weeks.

I am also looking at other companies as well. There are a lot of great companies out there, and having done some research, and been lucky to have a family connection to a few of them, I'm hoping that I find a job where I can dig in, work hard, and learn a lot.

----

In terms of poker I'm still throwing around the idea of playing on Stars vs Tilt. The FPP concept requires a lot of play, and due to my new focused job search I am not sure I will be able to put in enough points to earn supernova any time soon. Really the rewards only come at that level, and I want to maximize my time. That all being said, I find the games easier to beat on Stars, and have won on all 4 sessions I have played on there. Within this I have had 3-4 pretty nasty suckouts against me and I think this encourages me to continue to play on there, having won despite these losses.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I suppose the problem between having a job and playing poker is that it would be hard to get in all the hours needed to get the FPP to unlock all those bonuses. You will have to let me know how it goes because that is what I will most likely be doing. Now that I am back in the states with a fast internet connection and normal monday-friday job i will be able to log in some hours muliplaying the cash games. The main problem is I can only see myself playing like 3-4 hours a day max after work.
How many hours a day did you think you need to play to get the points you talk about?
Let me know how it works out.