Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Played a bit on Stars

I played a little on Stars last night and found the games to be pretty good. I bought in short at 8 tables and quickly trippled the 200$ I had on there when I started. The FPP VIP program seems pretty solid and I could easily see earning 50-100K FPP points per month once I get going.

They have all sorts of great FPP store items for sale including electronics, tournament entries, bonuses, and more. I could easily see ordering a big screen or $1500 bonus about once a month. This seems better than the $500 or so I get in rakeback per month at Full Tilt. For example, the $1500 bonus costs 100K FPPs, but with a earning rate of Supernova status you earn 3.5x as much FPPs, its reasonable to expect to earn 3000+ FPPs in a single session. That would mean that in about 30 sessions I could clear enough to purchase the $1500 bonus, and then in earning more points, I would complete the bonus. If I could somehow eventually get up to the 1/2 games again I could make even more points, and if I could make 1M in a year, I'd get the top status, giving a 5x FPP rate. With that high a rate I could see it very easy to earn more than 100k points per month, and that would mean a lot of free money and expensive items. :D

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should definatly apply for this job Andrew - Balance SC2... What a dream.

http://blizzard.com/jobopp/designer-game-balance.shtml

Andrew Brownell said...

I actually applied and interviewed for that job last year. Unfortunately, I didn't get it. I'm still looking for a job in the game industry though, and hopefully I'll get to be a part of WC4 or SC3 someday. :)

Andrew Brownell said...

PS Who are you Mr. Anonymous?

Anonymous said...

Bruno - I can't get my account to work anymore. Do you know what that job pays?

Anonymous said...

Im gonna apply just for the hell of it. I figure i'm like the ideal candidate.

-Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Not the greatest but I get by.

-Absolute passion for playing and making computer games
Check.

-Ability to work well in a team environment
Check.

-Experience playing real-time strategy games competitively
Check.

-Can organize and clearly present complex data Works well under deadlines.
Check.

-Has a demonstrable understanding of competitive strategy gaming
Check.

-Excellent math skills
3/4 of a math Undergrad. Check.

-Game design experience on a shipped product with head-to-head game-play
No :(

-Experience in designing and playing Real-Time-Strategy games
The playing part.

-Has played Blizzard strategy games extensively
Oh god, definate check.

-Played Warcraft 3 and/or StarCraft competitively
Check. Both baby.

The question is - if I was to get the job is it worth moving to Texas just to play with video games. :)

Anonymous said...

I mean California when I say Texas...

Andrew Brownell said...

Sent you a msg on AIM Bruno. GL.

Unknown said...

Hey Cali is a pretty good place to live. =) Best of luck to both of you. I still have 3 years left in my Air Force commitment.