Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Played Great and Lost Badly

Went to friends house to play a 10 person $20 deepstack freeze out. I'm getting pretty good cards but not hitting the flop, I raised with Queens in middle position only to get called by 4 players - flop comes A/7/4. It gets checked to me and I decide to take a stab at it, I get raised and instantly muck my hand. He shows A/4 for two pair.

I raise it up again pre-flop, this time from early position with A/K. I get the standard 3 callers, flop comes 10/8/3. I bet on the flop, and get one caller. I fire another bullet and take down a nice pot.

Nothing eventfull until we come to this hand. I'm dealth Kc/Qh in middle position, I raise it to 4xBB and get min re-raised by the button, I call. Flop comes Ac/Ah/Qc. I check knowing that he very well could have an ace. Turn is 5c. I check, he bets 1/4 of the pot. I call. River is Jc. So now I have the nut flush. I bet the pot. He instantly moves all-in. I think for about a minute and muck my hand. I figured that the only reasonable hands I can beat in this spot are A/K,K/K or the Tc, none of which he would push all in with, unless hes suicidal. I put him on A/Q, Q/Q or maybe even J/J. I fold my hand face up, and he shows A/A for flopped quads.

After than hand my stack is down to about 45% of our starting chips and two players have been eliminated which makes me very short, but the blinds arent too big so i'm not worried yet. I get Kd/10d on the button, I raise 5xxBB hopping to get the blinds and the two limpers but instead I get two callers. The flop comes Ad/10c/7d. It gets checked to me and I decide to take a free card. The turn is the Kc, giving me 2nd pair and the nut flush draw. Checked to me again and I again decide to take a look at a free card, the river is a beauty, the 9d. I have the stone cold nuts. They check it to me and I push all-in for about the size of the pot. They think and fold, probably should have tried a value bet. Oh well, I'm happy to pick up some chips.

I'm back on the button and this time I have K/Q. There is one limper so I try and take the pot with a 5xBB raise, blinds fold and the limper min raises me. I fold because I'm not ready to play for my entire stack on K/Q. The next hand I'm dealt A/K, I raise 5xBB and the blinds fold again and the same limper min-reraises me, I instantly push all-in and he instantly calls. Normally I would be scared by someone calling me so quickly but this player is a maniac so I still feel like I could have him dominated or in the worst case, be racing with him. He turns over A/J. Bingo.
Flop comes Q/9/7/J/4. I'm eliminated.

I think i'm playing fairly well so I decide to go down to the poker club even though it's pretty late. I get in the game right away, I go thru two orbits without playing a single hand except my BB, I just have had nothing of quality. I'm seeing alot of ace/rag and the ace is always the first card I look at, pretty frustrating. I get dealt A/10 in middle position and decide that my image is pretty good, so let's play a hand. I raise 6xBB(standard in this game) and get two callers, the flop comes Q/Q/7. It gets checked around. The turn is a 5. I check and one of the players bets 2/3 of the pot. I go into the tank and intentionally take a long time, trying to make it look like i'm acting. I flat call, river is some blank and I bet $50, the pot. He thinks for a bit then says, "I'll pay you off and flat calls me with Q/8". I muck.

The mistake in this hand is not putting him on the Q. I was positive that he either had a 7 of a middle pocket pair, bad read. If he didnt have the Q, it would have been an easy fold because I think I represented the Q perfectly, everyone though I had it.

Once again, I'm dealth A/10. I call a a 4xx raise on the button. 2 other players in the hand. The flop comes 4h/7h/10h. First player checks, 2nd players bets out $25 - I instantly push all my chips in for a raise of just under the size of the pot. I put him on a weak draw of maybe a low pair, I could just tell that he was unconfortable and din't really want to be playing the hand. He went into the tank for what seemed like forever and eventually called. Not what I was hoping for, he turned over 8h/8c for 2nd pair and a week flush draw. At this point, I'm not sure if my ace is a heart or not. I know its red but I didn't want to check because if I check my cards he can immidiatly rule out the possibility of a made flush. Unfortunetly, I was holding the Ad. Turn comes Qd, river comes Jh.

I decide to call it a night, sometimes you just aren't running well. I think for the most part I played very well but I guess those are the breaks. Like someone at the table said, Variance is a bitch.

3 comments:

Andrew Brownell said...

This is why I hate live play. You just don't get enough hands, so that variance is a much bigger problem.

Anonymous said...

how can someone hate live poker?

Andrew Brownell said...

i like watching it - but i find it much easier to lose focus and get bored. :)