Wednesday, March 21, 2007

What do we think of this hand?

FullTiltPoker Game #2040403322:
Table Morgan (6 max) - $0.50/$1 -
No Limit Hold'em - 21:40:33 ET - 2007/03/21

Seat 1: ScratchPlayer ($53.30)
Seat 2: HERO ($106.55)
Seat 3: kew1076 ($100.35)
Seat 4: jasoncho83 ($188.40)
Seat 5: mammamia1355 ($89.20)
Seat 6: Paul Coffey ($96)

kew1076 posts the small blind of $0.50
jasoncho83 posts the big blind of $1
The button is in seat #2

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to HERO [Ac 8c]

mammamia1355 calls $1
Paul Coffey calls $1
ScratchPlayer folds
HERO calls $1
kew1076 foldsjasoncho83 checks

*** FLOP *** [2s 3c 7c]

jasoncho83 checks
mammamia1355 bets $4.50
Paul Coffey raises to $12
HERO has 15 seconds left to act
HERO calls $12
jasoncho83 raises to $187.40, and is all in
mammamia1355 calls $83.70, and is all in
Paul Coffey calls $83, and is all in
HERO calls $93.55, and is all in

jasoncho83 shows [2d 2c]
mammamia1355 shows [Kd Kh]
Paul Coffey shows [3h 3s]
HERO shows [Ac 8c]
Uncalled bet of $81.85 returned to jasoncho83

*** TURN *** [2s 3c 7c] [9c]

*** RIVER *** [2s 3c 7c 9c] [Ad]

jasoncho83 shows three of a kind, Twos
HERO shows a flush, Ace high
HERO wins side pot #2 ($21.10) with a flush, Ace high
Paul Coffey shows three of a kind, Threes
HERO wins side pot #1 ($20.40) with a flush, Ace high
mammamia1355 shows a pair of Kings
HERO wins the main pot ($354.30) with a flush, Ace high

First:
When the action first reaches me - is this is a raise, call, or fold situation? Notice two players are acting behind me, and one of them has already raised - all four players are deep stacked.

Second:
When the action reaches me for the second time - is this a call or fold situation?

----

The first situation I viewed as a poor spot for sure. I figured I probably was beat because the flop was pretty bland and so I almost for sure am up against at least top pair and an overpair. I figure I could also be up against a set of any of the ranks on board. So, I looked at my opponents' stack sizes and decided that if I called, I might encourage the other player to call, and then I would be getting a great price to catch my flush. I also figured that if it got reraised by the initial raiser and called by the reraiser, I could call the all-in because of the price I would be getting to see two cards. The large stack sizes would mean that if I did hit my flush I might be able to win a couple more large bets (possibly a player's whole stack) from a set or two pair.

I don't like reraising because if you are up against a set you are an underdog and you need to hit your hand - reraising in this spot would almost certainly be a push or near push. I will also mention that I had very little info on the reraiser - so I had to value his reraise here as a very strong hand - like two pair or a set.

Folding seems a bit silly to me here. The only "bad spot" you could get your money in would be if it got back to the initial raiser who pushed all-in and the reraiser folded.

Okay so, then when the action reaches me again the pot is HUGE, I only have to call $87 to win a $354 pot. So I'm getting about 4:1, and I'm about 3:1 to hit my hand - poker stove puts my equity slightly better at 29%. This is an easy call.

Lucky me - for once.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My opinion on this hand. Keep in mind I think I have been playing poorly lately.

You limp in position in a multiway pot with a suited A. I think this is a good play as you can make a stong hand and you are in position. If you hit a big hand you can make a lot of money as you get to act last and extract the most ammount of money. Also if everyone misses or you hit your A you could be good and take the pot.

You flop the nut Flush, a very strong hand. You can usually estimate you have 12 out, the 9 clubs and 3 A. Heads up you are in great shape and should bring this hand to war and you are prob even money with your opponent and can make him fold.

When the action gets to you on the flop there is a pot size bet and raise in front of you. I would have to say that personally I would fold here. With people to act behind me (squeeze play) I really can't think that my A is any good giving me only 9 out. If the initial raiser folds you only get to see one card and if you miss he will most likely bet you out of the pot. If everyone calls you are happy with your equity in the pot.

With such a small flop I would most likely assume someone either has a set or two pair. A blind could have 72, 73, or 23 and think they have the best hand. As it is you are up against two different sets.

When the action comes to you the second time this is a no brainer call. getting 3-1 with your nut draw is great. +EV play. Even against sets this is a good play.

I also agree that a re-raise on the flop would be bad. The players have told you they have a better hand by the betting and you actually want more callers with your draw. You are behind for sure and so you want as much pot odds as you can get. You don't want to get heads up against a set.

Because of the action in front of you I would probably fold to his raise. heads up it would be different and you could get the guy with KK to possibly fold (prob not) but a guy with 88 99 10 10 would.

Just the way I would play it but I have been plaing poorly...

Bruno Meliambro said...

I think you probably played this hand the best possibly way... I'm not sure what I would have done.

The real question is, how likely is it that one of these players has a set. I would have to think that with the preflop action your gonna be up against a set about 2/3 of the time. You could probably narrow down the range if you have good stats on both players.

If you don't give them a set I think the standard line would be to raise the $12 to about $40 and call AI - even against kings your abour 47% so with the fold equity it's definatly +EV.

Unfortunetly, there's a strong possibility that the players have a set... if these are both solid players it's very difficult to play this hand profitably. If you flat call the $12 your pretty much declaring what hand you have killing your implied odds.

I think if a LAG player like me is making that raise, it's a very easy raise however if the guy is a nit, I think the best play might be folding because you don't know if the other guy is gonna be coming alot for the ride which will kill your odds - not to mention, if you hit your ace you might go broke because in all likelihood, it's no good. Solid players are not gonna be in a raise on that pot unless they have a big draw or a big made hand.

If I was playing with regulars I would probably raise in this spot 100% of the time because they will remember that you got your money in a big draw which will help you get it it when you have a big made hand.

I guess what i'm saying is that although you got the best possible result, I don't think calling in that spot is gonna maximize your expectation - I think most likely result in calling in that spot will be finding yourself in trouble on the turn with a big draw but only one card to come, this case was special because everyone had a huge hand at which point its a nobrainer.

Then again, calling might be the most profitable play if you don't think these guys are gonna lay down a set when that suit comes.

I think that this spot is so marginal that it dosent really matter...