Monday, March 26, 2007

Check-raising on FT

So I've made an observation. Most players on FT have a 4+ agression factor post flop.

This generally means that if you check to them - they bet.

I was noticing that I was missing out on a lot of money because I was nearly always betting on flops. I mean always betting - like I'd bet second pair and flush draws and straight draws - or even stone bluffs. I'd always bet my strong hands too. So top two pair or sets or TPTK, etc.

Now the first group of hands I mentioned are good spots to bet. Often betting out hands that may have you beat is a great thing to do - and is a very profitable play.

However, the second type of hands - the times you are strong - its much, much better to check-raise most flops instead. I do this with overpairs, top pair, sometimes second pair, or my super strong hands.

Advantages to this strategy:

Gives strength out of position. Its so hard to play hands like middle pairs and AK out of position, but if you check-raise with made hands a lot of time, your checks will get more checks behind them, giving you free shots at turn and river cards to make your hand.

Aggressive players like to bet. When you check to an aggressive player, they nearly always bet. However, most won't put any more money in pots with hands like middle pairs or AK when they miss the flop if you bet first. By check-raising you get money in the pot that you wouldn't if you led out. Aggressive bluffers will bet half to pot sized bets on nearly every flop you check, and those bets are just free money, when you check-raise and take the pot away.

Extra information in multiway pots. Aggressive players love reraising in multiway pots with very good hands. Checking lets you see what the players behind you do. Many times it will go raise - reraise, and you can get out of a medium strength hand without losing a dime.

Confuses / misleads opponents. Most players won't put you on a very strong hand if you check the flop. This can lead to extra money won later in the hand. I find that if I check the flop, I like to be more aggressive throughout the rest of the hand. You'd be surprised the types of hands will try to catch you bluffing the turn/river.

-----

Now, its important to note that I'm absolutely not advacating a 100% of the time check raise strategem. What I am saying is when you are out of position and you have a semi-strong to strong hand AND you think its unlikely you will win any more money by betting, checking is the better tactic.

Thoughts? Opinions?

No comments: